- Urban and Regional Planning Act
- Local Authorities Act
- National Housing Development Act
- Regional Councils Act
Other important legislation includes:
- Traditional Authorities Act, 2000
Provides for the establishment of traditional authorities and the designation, election, appointment and recognition of traditional leaders; to define the powers, duties and functions of traditional authorities and traditional leaders; and provide for matters incidental thereto.
- Council of Traditional Leaders Act, 1997
Provides for the establishment of the Council of Traditional Leaders and define its powers, duties and functions; and for matters incidental thereto.
- Decentralisation Enabling Act, 2000 (Act no 33 of 2000)
- Trust Fund for Regional Development and Equity Provisions Act, 2000
- Special Advisors and Regional Governors Appointment Amendment Act, 2010 (Act No 15 of 2010)
- Electoral Act with its amendments
- The Rural Development Policy
- National Rural Development Strategy